The University of Edinburgh will be hosting Ada Lovelace Day on Tuesday 13th October 2015 – an international celebration of the achievements of women in science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM). You are all welcome, please join us.
Our provisional schedule includes:
- composing music with algorithms
- building Raspberry Pi enclosures with LEGO
- metadata games in University of Edinburgh’s Library and University Collections
- Wikipedia training session and edit-a-thon
- Ada buns
- guest speakers
- and much more!
Morning (booking link)
11:00-11:30 Introduction to the day with speakers on Lovelace, research using LEGO, programming and games (Melissa Highton, Katya Krasnopeeva & Judy Robertson)
11:30 – 14:00 Fun with data, algorithms, and Pi: hands-on sessions (drop-in)
• compose your own music with algorithms – sessions running at these times: 11:30 – 12:15; 12:15 – 13:00; 13:00 – 14:00
• build your own Raspberry Pi enclosures with LEGO – sessions running at these times: 11:30 – 13:00; 13:00 – 14:00
• play and compete in metadata games (University of Edinburgh’s Library and University Collections division) – sessions running at these times: 11:30 – 13:00; 13:00 – 14:00
Afternoon (booking link)
14:00 – 17:00 Wikipedia Editathon
Join us to raise profile of women in computer science & inspire a new generation! Receive expert advice and training so that you can, edit and publish articles for Wikipedia. Then publish new articles or improve existing articles about prominent Edinburgh University women, past and present, who are under-represented within Wikipedia.
· 14:00-15:00 Wikipedia training
· 15:00 Afternoon tea (catering provided)
· 15:15-17:00 Wikipedia Editing and Publishing: Edinburgh’s women in Computer Science
*You are welcome to bring your own topics of interest to write Wikipedia articles about too.