Things to do before arriving in Cardiff:
Core (15 minutes)
- Create a Wikipedia account
You should ideally create a Wikipedia account at least 4 days before an editathon event as new users cannot create new pages on Wikipedia until their account has been registered for 4 days and they have accrued over 10 edits.
- Join the EAHIL event dashboard page here.
- Watch the Visual editor tutorial (5 minute video) to see how easy it now is to start editing Wikipedia
- Read What is an editathon (links to the next page)
- Read Wikipedia’s guidance on running an editathon (10 minutes)
- Decide what you want to work on during the session. There will be about 25 minutes to edit Wikipedia. You can either prepare something in advance, or choose from a list of suggested tasks on the day.
During the session there will be time to do simple editing such as: add missing citations, add links between existing articles, add images to a wiki article, translate existing English articles into your own language. If you want to prepare a topic in advance, please do! To get ideas of what to prepare, look in Wikipedia for a subject on which you have some interest or expertise, and find gaps that you could help fill.